- May 1970
- Born Peterboro, Ontario, Canada to Jeanette Alexina Stewart and
Hugh Drumin Stewart. Canadian citizen by birth, and
British citizen by descent.
- March 1975
- Moved to Clochan, Banffshire, Scotland.
- June 1988
- Completed secondary education at Leeds Grammar School (Leeds,
England), with A-levels in Mathematics, Further Mathematics,
Physics, Chemistry, and General Studies.
- July 1991
- Completed undergraduate residency at Worcester College, Oxford,
obtaining an Upper-Second class BA honours in Mathematics and
- August 1994
- Abandoned professional traineeship as a tax
accountancy consultant at KPMG Peat Marwick, Leeds, after 11 months
of working towards the ACA auditor qualification.
- January 1999
- Completed doctoral residency at the Programming Research Group,
Oxford University (again affiliated with Worcester College), as a
DPhil student of Luke Ong, and after circulating the first draft
of my DPhil thesis to several
logicians for comment, and with the hope that one might either give
me employment or act as my external examiner. Moved to Waltham, MA,
to take up NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship with Harry Mairson.
- March 2000
- Successfully defended my DPhil.; my examiners were Lincoln Wallen (internal examiner),
and Zhaohui Luo (external).
- January 2001
- Completed the two-year NSF Fellowship, and moved to Berlin,
- May 2006
- Resigned my post at TU Dresden following my return from my
visiting Assistant Professorship at Yale University.
Registered Textproof as the name of my freelance editing business.